M cDow Funeral Home, Inc. was first
chartered in 1949 by Thomas C. and Kathleen Bennett McDow, Sr. and was opened for business on February 9, 1949 on South Wayne Avenue in Waynesboro. Shortly thereafter, Douglas R. Tyree, Sr. joined the firm and the name was changed to McDow-Tyree Funeral Home, Inc.
Following the death of Thomas C. McDow, Sr. in 1950, his son, Thomas C. McDow, Jr. joined the firm and along with Mr. Tyree continued to follow his father's vision.
The business was moved to its present location in 1966. This was once the location of Waynesboro Community Hospital. The facility was remodeled and expanded that same year, as well as in 1977.